MATH1712 — Probability and Statistics II
This page contains information, electronic copies of the handouts,
and data sets for the MATH1712 module.
The following links provide pdf copies of the handouts from the
- homework 1,
notes about week 2 tutorials
- first practical (replaces homework 2),
- homework 3,
notes about week 4 tutorials
- homework 4,
- homework 5,
notes about week 6 tutorials
- second practical (replaces homework 6),
- homework 7,
notes about week 8 tutorials
- homework 8,
notes about week 10 tutorials
Here is a checksheet for last year's exam.
This section lists some data sets we considered in this module:
While I strongly recommend that you take notes of what I say and
write in lectures, I also make a typed version of my notes available
here. These notes are updated continuously as term progresses, and
new versions will be uploaded regularly.
I have split out all advice about using R into a separate
There are many introductions to basic statistic available, both
online and in the form of published text books. A selection of
text books about basic statistic which can be found in our libraries
is listed below.
- G.M. Clarke and D. Cooke, A Basic Course in Statistics, Edward Arnold, 2004.
- R.V. Hogg and E.A. Tanis, Probability and Statistical Inference, Pearson, 9th edition, 2014.
- D.G. Rees, Essential Statistics, Chapman & Hall, 2001.
- N.A. Weiss, Elementary statistics, Pearson, 2012.
- J.A. Rice, Mathematical Statistics and Data Analysis, Duxbury Press, 2007.