Note. There is
a newer version of this page
MATH1712 — Probability and Statistics II
This page contains information, electronic copies of the handouts,
and data sets for the MATH1712 module.
The following links provide pdf copies of the handouts from the
While I strongly recommend that you take notes of what I say and
write in lectures, I also make a typed version of my notes available
here. These notes are updated continuously as term progresses, and
new versions will be uploaded regularly.
The following data sets were used in the module.
- poll results from the questionnaire
in the first lecture
- There are some toy data sets for use in homework 4:
- The data for the linear regression in exercise 27
- Data about fishing vessels in the UK (practical and homework 7):
local copy: vessels.csv
- Some toy data for use in homework 7:
There are many introductions to basic statistic available, both
online and in the form of published text books. A selection of
text books about basic statistic which can be found in our libraries
is listed below.
- G.M. Clarke and D. Cooke, A Basic Course in Statistics, Edward Arnold, 2004.
- R.V. Hogg and E.A. Tanis, Probability and Statistical Inference, Pearson, 9th edition, 2014.
- D.G. Rees, Essential Statistics, Chapman & Hall, 2001.
- N.A. Weiss, Elementary statistics, Pearson, 2012.
- J.A. Rice, Mathematical Statistics and Data Analysis, Duxbury Press, 2007.