Hybrid Rossby-shelf mode in a rotating laboratory tank
- Top view of a rotating cylindrical laboratory ocean with axisymmetric
deep interior and shallow coastal shelf topography.
- Time-exposure streak photography. Each small white streak
denotes a particle taken by the current.
- Shelf break is visible as lighter strip along the rim of the tank
at 0.8 of the tank radius.
- Eight consecutive times during one period (51.3s).
- Hybrid Rossby-shelf mode goes like a Rossby-wave from East to West (i.e. right to left) through the interior ocean,
and counterclockwise around the Southern shelf boundary
like a shelf wave
(small circulation cell visible at bottom left at times 0s, 7s, and 28s).
Email: o.bokhove TE math.utwente.nl
With thanks to John Salzig and Michel ten Bulte.