Qualifications: PhD and MSc (Swiss Federal
Institute of Technology, Lausanne); Postdoctoral Research Fellow
(Boston University and Virginia Tech.); Humboldt
LMU of Munich); Advanced
Research Fellow (University of Warwick); Lecturer (2009-2013) and Associate Professor (2013-present) at University of Leeds
Brief CV and citations summary: 2-page CV
on ISI Web of Science and citations summary on Google Scholar
& Research Interests: statistical mechanics applied to evolutionary dynamics of complex systems in the life and behavioural sciences
Dynamics in Life Science: Evolutionary games,
Individual-based predator-prey models, population genetics models (23 publications)
Fluctuation-driven phenomena, stochastic nonlinear processes, exact and
field-theoretic methods for interacting-particle systems (15+2
Dynamics in Behavioural Science: Cooperation and
Opinion dynamics, evolution on complex networks (10
Szczesny (PhD student); Maria Sawicka (PhD student); Andrew Mellor (PhD
student); Eloise Cockburn (MSc student); Diepreye Ayabina (MSc student); Rebecca
Scopes; Andrew Stewart; Adam Farrell
Postdoctoral Visiting Researcher:
Dr. Yanfei Jin (Beijing Institute of Technology)
research projects: 1, 2 and 3
Student projects: cooperation, voters & rock-paper-scissors
list of publications: available here
recent publications (selection)
- B. Szczesny, M. Mobilia, and A. M. Rucklidge, Characterization of spiraling patterns in spatial rock-paper-scissors games. Physical Review E 90 (2014), 032704:1-14. Article.
- A. Szolnoki, M. Mobilia, L.-L. Jiang, B. Szczesny, A. M. Rucklidge, and M. Perc, Cyclic dominance in evolutionary games: A review. Journal of the Royal Society Inteface
11, 20140735:1-20 (2014). Article.
- A. Szolnoki, M. Perc, and M. Mobilia, Facilitators reveal the optimal interplay between information exchange and reciprocity. Physical Review E 89 (2014), 042802:1-8. Article. E-print.
- M. Mobilia, Evolutionary games with facilitators: When does selection favor cooperation? Chaos, Solitons & Fractals 56, (2013) 113-123. Special issue on "collective behavior and evolutionary games". Article. E-print.
- M. Assaf, M. Mobilia, and E. Roberts, Cooperation dilemma in finite populations under fluctuating environments. Physical Review Letters 111 (2013), 011134:1-5. Article. Supplemental Material. E-print.
- B. Szczesny, M. Mobilia, and A. M. Rucklidge, When does cyclic dominance lead to stable spiral waves? EPL 102, (2013) 28012:1-6. Article. E-print. Supplementary material and movies (also available here).
- M. Assaf* and M. Mobilia*, Anomalous metastability
and fixation properties of evolutionary games on scale-free graphs. Published in the Proceedings of the European Conference on Complex Systems 2012 (Chapter 88, 713-722).. E-print.
- M. Mobilia, Commitment versus persuasion in the three-party constrained voter model. Journal of Statistical Physics 151 (2013), 69-91. Special issue on the "applications of statistical mechanics to social phenomena". Article. E-print.
- M. Mobilia, Stochastic dynamics of the prisoner's dilemma with cooperation facilitators. Physical Review E 86 (2012), 011134:1-9. Article. E-print.
See also this paper. Link to journal.
(Physical Review E 88 (2013), 046102:1-3).
- M. Assaf* and M. Mobilia*, Metastability
and anomalous fixation in evolutionary games on scale-free networks. Physical Review Letters 109 (2012), 188701:1-5. Article. E-print
- M. Mobilia, Fixation
and Polarization in a Three-Species Opinion Dynamics Model.
EPL 95, (2011) 50002:1-6.
- Q. He, M. Mobilia, and U. C. Täuber, Coexistence in the
two-dimensional May-Leonard model with random rates. European Physical Journal B 82 (2011), 97-105.
- M. Assaf* and M. Mobilia*, Fixation of a Deleterious
Allele under Mutation Pressure and Finite Selection Intensity.
Theoretical Biology 275
- Q. He, M. Mobilia, and U. C. Täuber, Spatial Rock-Paper-Scissors
Models with Inhomogeneous Reaction Rates. Physical Review E 82 (2010), 051909:1-11. Article.
- M. Assaf and M. Mobilia, Large Fluctuations and
Fixation in Evolutionary Games. J. Stat. Mech., (2010) P09009:1-24. Article. E-print
- M. Mobilia and M. Assaf, Fixation in Evolutionary
Games under Non-Vanishing Selection. EPL 91, (2010) 10002:1-6.
- M. Mobilia,
Dynamics in Rock-Paper-Scissors Games with Mutations.
Theoretical Biology 264, (2010): 1-10.
- D. Volovik, M. Mobilia, and S. Redner, Dynamics of
Strategic Three-Choice Voting. EPL 85, (2009) 48003:1-5.
- T. Reichenbach, M. Mobilia and E. Frey, Self-Organization of Mobile
Populations in Cyclic
Competition. Journal of Theoretical
Biology 254, (2008): 368-383.
- T. Reichenbach, M. Mobilia and E. Frey, Mobility
promotes and jeopardizes biodiversity in rock-paper-scissors games,
Nature 448, (2007) 1046-1049.
Information. E-print. Selected, evaluated and recommended by Faculty1000 Biology. Selected for the 10 September 2007 issue of the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology
- T. Reichenbach, M. Mobilia and E. Frey,
Correlations in a Spatial Population Model with Cyclic Competition,
Review Letters 99, (2007) 238105:1-4.
Supplementary Notes. E-print.
December 2007 issue of Virtual Journal of Biological Physics Research
- M. Mobilia, I. T. Georgiev and U. C. Täuber,
Transitions and Spatio-Temporal Fluctuations in Stochastic Lattice
Lotka-Volterra Models, Journal of Statistical
(2007): 447-483. Article.
- P. Pierobon, M. Mobilia, R. Kouyos and E. Frey,
transitions in a minimal model for intracellular transport,
Review E 74, (2006) 031906:1-13.
for the 25
September 2006 issue of Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science &
- M. Mobilia, I. T. Georgiev and U. C. Täuber,
and correlations in lattice models for predator-prey
interaction, Physical Review E 73, (2006)
E-print. Selected for the 1
May 2006 issue of Virtual Journal of Biological Physics Research
- T. Reichenbach, M. Mobilia and E. Frey, Coexistence
versus extinction in the stochastic cyclic Lotka-Volterra model,
Review E 74, (2006)
for the 15 November 2006 issue of Virtual Journal of
Biological Physics Research.
- M. Mobilia, B. Schmittmann and R. K. P. Zia,
dynamics of a reaction-diffusion model with spatially alternating
Review E 71, (2005)
- M. Mobilia, Does a Single Zealot Affect
an Infinite Group of Voters?, Physical Review Letters 91, (2003) 028701: 1-4.
- M. Mobilia and S. Redner, Majority versus minority
dynamics: Phase transition in an interacting
two-state spin system, Physical Review E 68, (2003) 046106:1-11. Article.
grants & Awards:
Scientific events (selection
of invited talks & meetings organised):
- August-December 2014: Visiting Fellow at the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences on the programme
Understanding Microbial Communities; Function, Structure and Dynamics
- 10-11/05/2014: Invited speaker at the Symposium on "Novel Applications of Statistical Mechanics: A Celebration of Sidney Redner's Contributions" (Sid Redner's Festschrift) in Boston: "Zealotry, persuasion and polarization in voter models".
- 29/11/2013: Invited speaker at the CS&F Conference in Amsterdam
dedicated to their Special Issue on "Collective behavior and evolutionary games": "Prisoner's dilemma in the presence of facilitators and under extrinsic noise"
- 09-13/09/2013: Invited speaker at the workshop on Models from statistical mechanics in applied sciences at Warwick:"Coexistence and Metastability in Evolutionary Games".
- 12-13/06/2013: Member of the EPSRC mathematics prioritisation panel
- 07/06/2013: Invited Complex Systems Group seminar in York: "Large fluctuations and metastability in evolutionary games".
- 05/06/2013: Organiser of the Complexity
Systems Dynamics (CoSyDy) Meeting on "Complexity in economics and social dynamics" in Leeds
- 15/05/2013: Invited speaker at the meeting on "Complex and emergent behaviours" in Manchester, "Large-fluctuation effects on the fixation of a deleterious allele under mutation pressure".
- 02-03/05/13: Invited speaker at the Workshop on "Interacting particle models in the physical, biological and social sciences" at Warwick,"Polarization, zealotry and persuasion in the three-party constrained voter model".
- 12/04/2013: Invited speaker at the "complex networks mini-symposium" of the British Applied Maths Colloquium 2013: "Anomalous metastability and fixation properties of evolutionary games on scale-free networks".
- 01/11/2012: Talk on "Polarization, commitment and persuasion in the three-party constrained voter model" in the Leeds Probability, Stochastic modelling and Financial modelling seminar series.
- 03/09/2012: Talk on "Anomalous metastability and fixation in evolutionary games on scale-free graphs" (abstract) given at the 2012 European Conference on Complex Systems (ECCS'12) in Brussels
- 25/05/12: Invited lecturer/speaker at a Postgraduate School on Complex Systems in Brussels, "Rock-paper-scissors dynamics and cyclic bacterial games: biodiversity and complex patterns"
- 09/03/12: Invited
seminar in the Department of Mathematics at University of Surrey, "Consensus &
polarization in a three-state constrained voter model"
Organiser of the Complexity
Systems Dynamics (CoSyDy) Meeting on "Evolution
and Diversity in Complex Systems" in Leeds
Invited Speaker at the Conference "Sociophysics: do humans
behave like atoms?" (Paris): "Consensus
& Polarization in a Three-State Constrained Voter Model"
- 29/09/11: Invited
seminar in the School of Mathematics at University of Edinburgh, "Co-evolutionary dynamics of
rock-paper-scissors and cyclic bacterial games"
Invited Speaker at "Current
Trends in Game Theory" a Satellite of the 2011 European Conference on
Complex Systems in Vienna: Large
Fluctuations & Fixation in Evolutionary Games with
Invited Speaker at the international meeting on "Mathematics
in the Science of Complexity" in Warwick: Consensus
& Polarization in Constrained Opinion Dynamics
of the IOP workshop on "Complexity
of evolutionary processes in
biology and the behavioural sciences" in Manchester
- Since 2011:
Organisation & coordination of the Applied Postgraduate Seminar
series in the School of Mathematics at Leeds.
- Since 2010:
Organisation & coordination of seminar
series on "Mathematical Biology and Medicine" in
the School of Mathematics at Leeds.
- Since 2010:
Member of the EPSRC
- Since 2010: Chair
of the Complex
Systems Dynamics (CoSyDy) network
Organisation of a CoSyDy Meeting on "Movement
in Models of Mathematical Biology" in Warwick.
Organisation of a CoSyDy Meeting on the "Mathematics
of Evolutionary Dynamics" in Warwick.
- 11/05/10: Invited
talk in the CABDyN
Seminars series at Oxford on "Large
fluctuations & fixation in evolutionary games with
- Jan. 2010:
Invited speaker at the Conference on "Non-equilibrium
dynamics of spatially extended interacting particle systems"
(Warwick): "Modelling biodiversity &
pattern formation in communities exhibiting cyclic dominance"
- August 2009:
Invited speaker at the Conference on "Giant Fluctuations and
Population Dynamics" (Leiden): Evolutionary
dynamics and pattern formation in communities exhibiting cyclic
Organisation of "Patterns
in Complexity", a PANDA (patterns formation,
nonlinear dynamics and
applications) meeting in Leeds.
Speaker at the Graduate School on "Stochastic modelling in biology" in Leeds: "Introduction to evolutionary
game theory" (lecture
Organisation of the workshop on "Statistical
mechanics of molecular and cell biology" in
& management of the Postgraduate
School on Mathematics of Evolutionary Dynamics
Selection of media (and
- Figure of Phys. Rev. E 82 (2010),
051909 selected to be displayed on the Physical Review E web
site as part of their "kaleidoscope"
- In Spanish: Rock, paper or scissors and the
biodiversity via co-evolution in
"Francis (th)E mule Science's News" (2010).
in Spatial Rock-Paper-Scissors Games" in
- Paper Nature,
448, (2007) 1046-1049
evaluated and recommended by Faculty
Nature (Vol. 448, p. xi),
Editor's Summary: Species
on the move
- In Physicsworld: Zealots
spin into voting
Rock-Paper-Scissors Population Dynamics" in
- In Science News magazine (Vol.
172, N. 18): Rock,
paper, toxins [Full
- In Italian: Particles
and voting behaviours (20-minute interview on a
programme, Radio24. ll Sole 24 Ore, 26/09/03),
zealots like electronic spins ? (Le
- In German: Mobility
hinders biodiversity - Sedentary strategies for an eco-paradise
(Pressrelation.de) and pro-physik.de,
of a group of voters (Spektrumdirekt)
- In Russian: Popular science article
in the news portal Rambler