UK Nonlinear News Issue 50, April 2008
- New EPSRC funded Network: UK Mathematical Neuroscience Network (MNN)
MNN aims to provide a UK focus for the use of mathematical approaches to problems in
neuroscience. The Network will allow and encourage more UK mathematicians to engage in
fundamental neuroscience and at the same time tackle substantial mathematical
challenges that will be of broader scientific interest to the nonlinear and complex
systems community. Importantly, it can draw attention to, and develop, those pieces of
mathematical theory which are likely to be relevant to future studies of the brain.
Senior Lecturer in Applied Mathematics
Department of Mathematics,
University of Portsmouth
Postdoctoral positions at
IFISC, Palma de Mallorca.
Interested candidates should send their C.V. to
firstname.lastname@example.org, together with a statement
of scientific interests and availability.
The School of Engineering at the Malaysian campus of Monash University
invites applications for full-time appointments at the level of lecturer or
higher beginning in July 2008. Applicants should submit a full CV, and a
cover letter which describes research and teaching accomplishments and
research goals in PDF format to Associate Prof. BL Lan,
Postdoctoral position in the Department of Mathematics, University of Surrey. This is a three year EPSRC-funded position as a research officer on a project entitled Anomalous Diffusion in Deterministic Systems. Informal academic enquiries to Professor Ian Melbourne. Closing date 9th May 2008.
Meetings, Conferences and Events
Bifurcation, Symmetry and Pattern Formation. UK Dynamical Systems Graduate School.
- University of Leeds. 7-11 Apr
PANDA: Coupled Cell and
- University of Leeds. 11 Apr
One Day Ergodic Theory Meeting
- Department of Mathematics, University of Surrey, 18 Apr
- Vancouver summer school in mathematical biology
- University of British Columbia Campus
Vancouver, Canada, 11 May-11 Jun
Dynamical Systems, Differential Equations and Applications
- University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas, USA. 18-21 May
Systems Biology Dynamics: from Genes to Organisms
- McGill, Montreal.
exploratory workshop on Networks and Organization in cell biology
- UK Complexity Science Center, Warwick. 23 May
Chaotic Modeling and Simulation International Conference
- Chania, Crete, Greece. 3-6 Jun
PANDA: Patterns and nonlinear dynamics in biology
- University of Cambridge. 6 Jun .
EPSRC Workshop: Cellular Automata Theory and Applications
Bristol, UK, 12-14 Jun .
Workshop on Population Dynamics and Mathematical Biology
- CIRM Luminy, France, 16-20 Jun
- Saint Petersburg, Russia. 30 Jun-4 Jul
- The European
Consortium for Mathematics in Industry (ECMI)
- University College London, 30 Jun-4 Jul
Workshop on Nonlinear Processes in Oceanic and Atmospheric Flows
- Castro Urdiales, Cantabria, Spain. 2-4 Jul
- Multiscale modeling of moving interfaces in materials
- Leuven, Belgium, 2-4 Jul.
Oscillations and Dynamic Instabilities in Chemical Systems
- Waterville, ME, USA. 13-18 Jul
The 5th European Congress of Mathematics
Amsterdam, The Netherlands. 14-18 Jul .
SIAM Conference on Nonlinear Waves and Coherent Structures (NW08)
- Universita di Roma "La Sapienza", Rome, Italy. 21-24 Jul
Difference Equations and Applications
Society for Mathematical Biology Conference
Fields Institute, Toronto.
30 Jul - 2 Aug
Dynamics Days Europe 2008
- TU Delft, The Netherlands. 25-29 Aug
Non-Equilibrium Dynamics of Large-Scale Complex Systems
- Summer School at Ambleside, The English Lake District.
30 Aug - 8 Sep
Euromech Fluid Mechanics Conference
- Manchester. 14-18 Sep
Fractional Differentiation and its Applications
- Ankara, Turkey. 5-7 Nov
International Workshop on New Trends in Science and Technology
- Cankaya University, Ankara, Turkey. 3-4 Nov
Nonlinear Differential Equations, Integrability and Applications
- Cape Town, South Africa. 19-26 April 2009
WWW addresses for Publishers
IOP announce the publication of a special collection of
articles that highlight the breadth of high-quality research published in
Nonlinearity during 2007. Articles in this collection are
freely available from now until 31 December 2008.
These 'High-Profile Articles' consist of the top-downloaded papers
published in 2007, many of which have already been highly cited.
- New from Springer
Averaging and Homogenization
G. A. Pavliotis, Imperial College London, London, England
and A. M. Stuart,
University of Warwick, London, England
Issue Fifty one: June 2008
Issue Fifty one is scheduled for June 2008. Submission of news
(new courses, meetings, conferences, new appointments, jobs, new
research directions etc.), comments or articles about any aspect of
nonlinearity in the UK are very welcome and should arrive by 26