UK Nonlinear News Issue 48, September 2007
Articles and Reviews
A meeting on the fundamentals and techniques in applicable fluid
dynamics will be held at the School of Mathematics, University of
Leeds, on 21 September. The meeting is being held to mark the
retirement of Professor Derek Ingham.
For further information contact John Merkin.
Vadim Kuznetsov Memorial Issue on Integrable Systems and Related Topics
of the open-access journal "Symmetry, Integrability and Geometry:
Methods and Applications" (SIGMA) has been completed successfully and
is freely available online.
Cambridge University Press and the Journal of Fluid Mechanics establish
the Batchelor Prize
to recognise outstanding research in fluid mechanics
A meeting to mark the launch of the Oxford Centre for Nonlinear Partial Differential Equations is being held on 24th October 2007
- Sadly, the deaths were announced recently of the two of the pioneers
and champions of nonlinear science: Martin Kruskal (Dec 26,
2006), and Alwyn
Scott (Jan 11, 2007).
Kruskal was famous for many things, but those in the nonlinear
community will remember him best as the modern discoverer of the
soliton, along with Norman Zabusky. Their pioneering paper (PRL
15, 240, 1965) and other later works opened up the whole area
of integrable systems.
Scott, together with Chu and McLaughlin, wrote the first review on
soliton theory (Proc. IEEE, 61, 1443, 1973), which provided
many researchers with their first introduction to the field. He also
alerted the modern world to the then forgotten first observation of
the solitary wave by John Scott Russell in 1834. Scott and McLauglin
also pioneered the use of perturbation theory in treating
near-integrable models (PRA 18, 1652, 1978). More recently
Scott championed the idea of soliton-like localized processes on
biological macromolecules, in particular the Davydon soliton.
Throughout his life Scott published not just numerous scientific
papers, but many books on nonlinear waves, neurophysics, and
conciousness studies. Most recently he undertook the mammoth task of
editing the Encyclopedia
of Nonlinear Science. He was working on the final pages of a
history of Nonlinear Science when he died,
The Nonlinear Universe.
- The School of Mathematical Sciences at
Loughborough University appointed
Uwe Thiele as Reader in Applied
Mathematics and Mathematical Physics starting September 1st 2007. His
research focuses on the dynamics of simple/complex fluids at
interfaces and in confined geometries by modelling the
structure-forming interplay of wettability, capillarity, chemical
reactions and phase transitions with transport processes on the
meso-scale (continuum models) and on the micro-scale (discrete
Jeff Moehlis, a professor of mechanical engineering at the University of
California at Santa Barbara who has research interests in applied
dynamical systems, will be on sabbatical at the Department of Engineering
Mathematics at the University of Bristol from August 20 until December
- The Nonlinear Dynamics group at the Center for Theoretical Physics in Marseille has an opening for a
two-year postdoctoral position. This position is part of the ANR EGYPT project on gyrokinetics applied
to turbulent plasmas. This project consists of a network composed by the Controlled Fusion Department of
the CEA Cadarache, the Mathematics Institute of the University of Strasbourg and the Plasma Physics Lab
of the University of Nancy, in addition to the Center for Theoretical Physics in Marseille. The deadline for application is November 15, 2007.
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Applied Mathematics, University of Auckland, New Zealand. Applications are invited for a position at the Lecturer/Senior Lecturer level in Applied Mathematics within the Department of Mathematics. The position is intended for candidates with a PhD in Applied Mathematics, or related area, who demonstrate a strong commitment to excellence in research and teaching at all levels of Applied Mathematics. Extended closing date: 28 September 2008
Meetings, Conferences and Events
Thematic Semester on Applied Dynamical Systems
- Centre de Recherhes Mathematiques, Montreal, Canada. Jun- Dec 2007
3rd International Workshop on Epileptic Seizure
- Freiburg, Germany. 29 Sep-2 Oct
- Genetic and Biological Networks: Models, Dynamics, and Simulations
- A satellite workshop of the ECCS'07: European Conference on
Complex Systems, Dresden, Germany. 1-5 October 2007
Frontiers in Application of Systems Modeling and Simulation
- Long Beach, CA, USA. 5-6 Oct
Hamiltonian Lattice Dynamical Systems
- Lorentz Center, Leiden. 15-19 October.
Workshop: Coherent Behavior in Neuronal Networks
- Hotel Delta in Mallorca, Spain. 17-20 Oct
Symposium on Nonlinear Dynamics
- Shanghai, China, 27-30 Oct
Stochastic Evolutionary Problems
- Chester. 31 Oct-2 Nov
Recent Advances in Functional and Delay Differential Equations
- Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. 1-5 Nov
Stochastic and Random Dynamics. UK Dynamical Systems Graduate School.
- Imperial College, London. 19-23 Nov 2007
The 2nd International Conference on Sensing Technology
- Palmerston North, New Zealand. 26-28 Nov
- PANDA (Pattern Formation, Nonlinear Dynamics and Applications) meeting on Patterns in Optics.
- Department of Mathematics, University of Surrey. 29 November 2007
- The 4th International Conference on Computational Intelligence, Robotics
and Automation (CIRAS 2007)
- Palmerston North, New Zealand. 28-30 Nov
- NIPS 2007 WORKSHOP: Robotics Challenges for Machine Learning.
- Westin Resort and Spa and Westin Hilton, Whistler, B.C., Canada. 7-8 Dec 2007.
Dynamics Days 2008
- Knoxville, Tennessee, USA. 3-6 Jan
Analysis and Applications of Partial Differential Equations . UK Dynamical Systems Graduate School.
- University of Surrey. 7-10 Jan 2008
Multiscale Modeling and Singular Perturbations. One week course for PhD students and advanced Master students.
University of Twente. 7-11 Jan 2008.
Complex Dynamics. UK Dynamical Systems Graduate School.
- University of Liverpool. 14-18 Jan 2008
Nonlinear Dynamics in Polymeric Systems
- New Orleans, USA. 6-10 Apr, 2008
Bifurcation, Symmetry and Pattern Formation. UK Dynamical Systems Graduate School.
- University of Liverpool. 7-11 Apr 2008
The 7th AIMS International Conference on Dynamical Systems, Differential Equations and Applications
- University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas, USA. 18-21 May 2008
- Saint Petersburg, Russia. 30 Jun-4 Jul 2008
Oscillations and Dynamic Instabilities in Chemical Systems
- Waterville, ME, USA. 13-18 Jul, 2008
SIAM Conference on Nonlinear Waves and Coherent Structures (NW08)
- Universita di Roma "La Sapienza", Rome, Italy. July 21-24, 2008
WWW addresses for Publishers
- New from Birkhauser
- New from World Scinetific
A special collection of articles that highlight the breadth of high-quality research published in
Nonlinearity during 2006 is
until 31 December 2007
The journal "Regular and Chaotic
Dynamics" is now published not by Turpion but by
and distributed by
- Nonlinearity are pleased to report that, on the release of ISI's 2006 Journal
Citation Reports, Nonlinearity's impact factor has increased to 1.288.
Issue Forty nine: December 2007
Issue Forty nine is scheduled for December 2007. Submission of news
(new courses, meetings, conferences, new appointments, jobs, new
research directions etc.), comments or articles about any aspect of
nonlinearity in the UK are very welcome and should arrive by 23