Some Activities in 2009
Daniel Coombs (UBC) visited Oxford in May 2009 to give a seminar, to work on a manuscript, and to explore further
collaboration. Omer Dushek (Oxford), visited the University of British Columbia in July/Sept 2009
to 1) Attend the Annual Meeting of the Society of Mathematical Biology where he organized a minisymposium on
"Reactions at the cell membrane" that included 8 speakers and 2) for a collaboration with Daniel Coombs on the
topic of how T cell receptor - peptide-MHC bond reaction parameters determine T cell activation.
- Carmen Molina-París (Leeds) visited Dipankar Nandi (Bangalore)
- Grant Lythe (Leeds) visited Dipankar Nandi (Bangalore)
- Carmen Molina-París (Leeds) visited Phil Hodgkin (WEHI)
Jose Faro (PI) and Bernardo von Haeften (postdoc) visited the group of Alan Perelson at LANL (NM,
USA) in April/May for 2 and 4 weeks, respectively. They worked there in implementing methods for
calculating parameter synergies in 3 alternative models of the germinal centre (GC) dynamics. The aim
was to understand which processes are key players in determining the lifetime of GCs.
JF delivered a seminar to the group of AP, discussing the results obtained to that date with respect
to the GC synergy analysis. Discussions with people in the Perelson's group, like Rui Ribeiro, led to
a refinement of the analysis by applying the method of LHS (latin hypercube sampling). It also led to
a collaborative work between Rui and Bernardo to analyse parameters synergy in a model of the
dynamics of HIV infection using the same methodology followed for GCs.
- Grant Lythe (Leeds) visited Phil Hodgkin (WEHI)
- Robin Callard (UCL) visited James Sneyd (Auckland)
- Rob J De Boer (Utrecht) visited Ruy Ribeiro and Alan Perelson (Los Alamos)
- visit by D. Coombs to Oxford university / van der Merwe group (May 4-8)
Seminar in Pathology and a seminar in the Mathematical Biology group.
visits by O. Dushek from Oxford to UBC (collaboration on stochastic techniques, parameters governing
July - August and
Dec 8 - Jan 17, 2010.
- ACTIVITIES OF DIPANKAR NANDI IN 2009:
Invited speaker in an international symposium on Frontiers in
Molecular Medicine,organized by Centre for Molecular Medicine, JNU, New
Delhi and Uppsala University, Sweden, Feb 13-14. Delivered talk
entitled, Roles of Ras activation during inflammatory responses.~T
- Delivered two talks entitled The arsenals of the adaptive immune
system.at the lecture workshop on Immunology in health and disease~T
organized by Maharani Ammani College, Malleswaram, Bangalore and Indian
Academy of Sciences, Bangalore meeting on Feb 26.
- Delivered talk on The adaptive immune response on March 2, at
S.V. University, Tirupati.
- Talk on The Immune Responseand interacting with students enrolled in
the Project oriented Biological Education (POBE) program, JNC, Jakkur,
Bangalore on June 25.
- Talk on Immune system: an evolutionary perspective,on Sept 5,
at NMRV College, Jayanagar, Bangalore as part of Indian Academy of Science
sponsored two day lecture workshop on Integrated approach towards
- Invited talk on Ras activation during Interferon-gamma responses and
acetaminophen-induced liver damage, in VIT on Nov 27, in a meeting
organized by the Society of Biotechnology.
- Invited talk on Roles of Ras activation during Interferon-gamma
responses and acetaminophen-induced liver damage, on Dec 19 in
IMMUNOCON 2009, 36th annual conference of Indian Immunology Society
organized y NIMHANS, Bangalore-560012.